The title is a Latin phrase found in the work of the Roman poet Juvenal from his Satires (Satire VI, lines 347–8). It is literally translated as “Who will guard the guards themselves?”
The question in my head at the moment is:
Who cares for the carers?
Sometimes, and I’ll be frank here, I think the answer is: no-one? I’m a member of my local church council. I find it rewarding, and I like to serve man and God by doing all this work, whether sorting the church website or hoovering church carpets when the cleaner is on holiday, or spending hours sitting with fellow members of the congregation, listening to them telling me their problems when they are feeling down.
Yet what happens when the “care bear” and the church leader needs a listening ear? Where are the friends who were there when they were feeling down?
They are either:
- Not there at al: radio silence
- They are telling you about what a great time they are having on on their hols
- Moaning about their latest “playground fight” with a fellow member of congregation, followed by a huge long “mea culpa” session
This weekend got too much for me. I ended up at Schatz’, lying on the bed and listening to good mood music such as Rule Britannia. Finally, I decided to stick my shoes on and tell Schatz I was going out for a quick walk to the local bridge over the Autobahn and back to clear my head. Maybe she thought I was planning to jump off the said bridge. I wasn’t. Suicide is Painless, goes the theme tune to M*A*SH. But I wasn’t aiming to find out. Instead Schatz suggested we head the local restaurant and have a few drinks. We did that. Five glasses of Hugo and a good rant about the Ted Stryker fan club later, and I was feeling better. We duly waddled back to Schatz’ house, blood pressure somewhat lower than before.
Moral of this story:
- Support your local gunfighter. Support your local church council member.
- No matter how down you are feeling, no better how cheery your friend is feeling, ask your friend once in a while how he/she is, especially when you have been told bluntly that said friend is feeling down.
Danke nochmal, Schatz, für deine Geduld!
Have a supportive day, won’t you!