What have I learnt so far?
- Don’t panic if you have a blip. Stay focussed. Start afresh. One week’s weight gain or loss is, in any event, but a small step when you remember it took years to put the weight on.
- The 72-hour rule of thumb. If I have had a blip, it takes about me about 3 days for the “blip weight” to pass out of my body. (I won’t get too scatalogical here…)
- If you do have a blip one week, don’t starve yourself. Just go back to what you were doing that was helping you to lose weight. Last week I had a few too many Haribos and Balisto snacks, probably about 3000 calories worth, equalling about 0.5kg, which is what I put on last week. This week so far I have had literally three, maybe four, Haribo pieces.
- If you are tempted to have sweet things, have an ice cream, rather than sweets. A Magnum ice cream bar has “only” 259 calories and is more filling than a pack of wine gums. The ice cream is also quite a nice dessert after a salad lunch.
- Do some exercise in the evening. The last two evenings Düsseldorf has enjoyed glorious sunshine. I have made the most of it. I’ve already caught the sun after only 20 minutes at lunchtime today. (Well, what do you expect from a redhead?) Two 50-minute cycle rides to explore and recce new routes. I’ve also found a new “salmonellaburger van”, where I can stop off for a coffee. Another advantage of cycling is this: you can’t comfort-eat while you are cycling – especially if you don’t bring any money with you. (“Lead us not into temptation.”) The Union Flag cycling top still turns heads.
Finally, here is a pic of me in my favourite cycling top, back in 1998 in God’s Country, the Yorkshire Dales. Dennis the Menace from The Beano comic.
Have an un-menacing day, won’t you!