Sooo, story so far..
First 48 hours: slight headache, slight backache. Sleepiness on the second evening. Cold turkey, similar to a smoker giving up cigarettes! Maybe both were due to dehydration. I just cannot drink 2-3 litres of water a day. On day 1, while working from home, I was weeing for England. My urine is no darker (slightly yellow) than before the diet, so I’m not that dehydrated. I’ll drink some lemon-flavoured mineral water, Rheinfels, this evening.
On toilet matters, I have passed stools only twice since starting four days ago. Maybe it’s a combination of dehydration, being “egg-bound” and a need to replace the carbs with fibre. Hence, as of yesterday I have been eating three Pink Lady apples a day.
- Energy levels are far better.
- No more “just got out of bed” feeling. That should indicare improved blood sugar levels.
- Concentration span and drive at work have improved.
- Spending on canteen at work has gone down. A big bowl of salad is €4, about half of what I was previously spending on lunch. The salad is also filling.
- No hunger pangs.
- No cravings. Let me just qualify that. I was in my local cafe after work today, drinking coffee, writing my diary. I felt a slight tingly feeling, maybe a bit of hypoglaecemia. (Arguably a positive indicator.) I therefore ordered a turkey, cheese and lettuce bread roll, my first proper carbs in days. However, no “I could just murder a pizza” moments. Despite sitting two metres away from beautiful cakes this afternoon, I had no interest in eating anything sugary.
- One thing I have been doing is eating eggs (hard-boiled and scrambled) for breakfast. To add a bit of tang, I’ve been adding a small amount of Marmite to the egg. That also inserts a lot of vitamins into the diet, too.
- My digital kitchen scales arrived today.
- My copy of The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet Recipe Book is due to arrive this evening.
- My phebotomist, who is by no means a salad-dodger, has ordered herself a copy of the book after I told her about the diet on day one, when she was taking my three-monthly HBA1C blood sample.
Overall, I am feeling pretty darn good, I have to say.
Tomorrow morning I will do weigh-in and finger-prick blood sugar check. Watch this space…
Have a low-carbs day, won’t you!