Laughter is the best medicine. Well, unless you have a bad cough, in which case it’s probably better to nip to the shops and get some expectorant.
That brings me to yesterday evening. Comedy evening at O’Reilly’s Irish pub in Düsseldorf Altstadt. O’Reilly’s
The best €10 I have spent in months. A pretty much packed house downstairs in the cellar bar. A multinational, muliticultural audience, including:
I got there early to get a good seat close to the stage. In fact, I’d arrived very early, namely on Monday. For some reason, I’d got it into my head that it was on Monday. There’s German Rechtzeitigkeit, and there’s getting there waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early…
Anyway, my first time at O’Reilly’s comedy evening, and I do plan to come again and bring some friends along. Three acts:
- George Shorschi, an American from Arizona, who fulfilled the MC/warm-up role
- Nick Tonery, who was superb, with some excellent one-liners. He’s an IT person, but his act was, IMHO, professional standard
- Adam Fields https://www.facebook.com/adamfieldscomedy . He’s a professional comedian, that’s his proper job, a Londoner based in Amsterdam.
All three acts were superb. No “hack” topics, which is practically a hanging offence in stand-up.
Example hack topics are:
- Why do men always leave the toilet seat up when they go to the toilet?
- What colour hair do ginger people have “down below”, ho ho ho, ha ha ha, never heard that before.
You get the idea.
The best one-liners? Here are some:
I did two things for the first time last week. 1. I went tight-rope walking. 2. I had a BJ off a 70-year-old. On both occasions, I remember telling myself, “Don’t look down! Don’t look down!”
Are there any Russians out there? You know, there’s much more that unites us than divides us. Just a few differences. We say ‘Ukraine’. You say, ‘Mykraine.’
It was also great to sit and have a few drinks with the comedians after show, too, swapping jokes, just like musicians have a jamming session after a concert.
Roll on the next comedy evening.
Have a comedic day, won’t you!